Thursday, April 15, 2010

Before I was a Mom

Before I was a Mom,
I never tripped over toys
or forgot words to a lullaby.
I didn't worry whether
or not my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a Mom,
I had never been puked on.
Pooped on.
Chewed on.
Peed on.
I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.
I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom,
I never held down a screaming child so doctors could do tests.
Or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom,
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put her down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.

Before I was a Mom,
I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.

Before I was a Mom,
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much, before I was a Mom.

10 comments:

  1. Stacie~ I'm so glad you are now a mom! It is the greatest gift in the world outside of Jesus Christ and our Eternal Salvation/Security! I love you and want to meet Mercy one day soon!!!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't being a mommy the greatest!?!?! We are truly blessed!! Thanks for sharing the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful picture of motherhood - the good things and the bad. It is truly the most precious gift a woman can receive. As children get older, it is easier to forget. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was great. Really informative. If you need resources for a sober coach then you should check these guys out and get your life back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you need some info on alcohol rehab california? Then these guys should work for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post. I heard about visalus protein shakes but, didn’t believe it until I tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For over 10 years I was an addict and needed acupuncture chronic pain help. When I got the help I needed, I could start living my life again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was facing addiction and wanted to go to a rehab in Malibu. These guys are the best and the really know how to help a person grow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the post. I heard about visalus protein shakes but, didn’t believe it until I tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don’t let coke take over your life. You can get compulsive overeating treatment center help today. Turn to someone who can help.

    ReplyDelete