Friday, February 12, 2010

We Passed Court!!!

Just before the light of day, the alarm sounded. I tried very hard to remember every moment as I lay there. Hundreds of thoughts race through my mind, because I believe this day will forever change my life. I wanted to dash downstairs to log on to email and see if we had a message from our adoption agency, but I just lay in bed dreaming of Mercy. Regardless of the news we were about to hear, I wanted my husband to be the one to see it first. My friend said it must feel like Christmas at your house. That is true, but I don’t know if Santa will leave me a lump of coal or a pony! And a part of me feared we would relive our earlier disappointments.

My husband quietly got up to check email. Those two minutes felt like an eternity. Any second I might hear the words that I have waited months to hear, our baby girl was coming home. Or I would hear the dreaded words that cause my stomach to ache and my head to spin, we have been postponed again. Would I know from the way my husband enters the room what that message read? Would I even get out of bed if we got unfavorable news again? Can a find a cute outfit to match the joy in my heart if she is coming home? However, when my husband entered the room he just said, “We didn’t have a message.” Wow! That was not the response I had prepared for. I figured if this was our court date, then I thought we would have gotten word by early morning. I wouldn't even allow my mind to think about all the possibilities. Instead, I tried to stay focused and continue getting ready.

I grabbed my Jesus Calling devotional book and the scripture verse was from Psalm 37:4. "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." I wondered if this would be the day God would answer my prayer and give me my heart's desire. I prayed thanking God for answering our prayer in His perfect time and trust that He knows when it's best.

Ironically, I was helping with a baby shower at work today. I logged on to check email one more time before I made several trips to load the car. Just when I was buckled in and ready to pull out, I remembered...the ladel!! I had to run back into the house and rummage through the drawer looking for the ladel. Just before I dashed out the door for the second time, the phone rang. My heart hit the floor as I reached for the phone. It was my husband and from the sound of his voice, I didn't know if he was about to share good news or bad news.

Then he said, "Well, are you sitting down? Maybe you should take a seat." Almost in a hysterical tone, I said "Tell me! If you know something, tell me!!" Without any more hesitation, he said, "Okay, we passed!!!!" We both erupted into tears of joy!

This means that our little girl is legally ours. Now, we are waiting for our travel date. Our agent seems to think that we will go either on March 25 or April 8. Naturally, I want the earliest date possible. We will miss her first birthday by only a few days and I am not as upset as I thought I would be, because we'll more than make up for it once she's home.

This will certainly be a Valentine's weekend that we will never forget. My heart is so full of love at this moment. This IS the day that I have waited for all my life. I'm a mommy!!! Legally, I have a little girl living on the other side of the world. But in my heart, I think I've been a mom for a long, long time.

As I reflect on all the events of today, I am amazed at God's precise timing that would cause me to run back in the house for that silly punch ladel just as my husband was going to call. He would never have called my cell phone with this kind of news. WOW!!!

Thank you for sharing in this journey with us!!


"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!! God is good!!!! Can't wait for the BIG party at the Nashville airport when we both bring our children home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your blog on Facebook. I'm so excited for you, and look forward to hearing more about your journey as you bring Mercy home. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the blog, Stacie!! So happy to follow your story.

    ReplyDelete