Monday, February 22, 2010

What NOT to Do Just Before Bedtime

In months past when I could not sleep, the reason would usually be one of two things. One, I had consumed too much caffeine throughout the day or even splurged and had a diet coke after 5:00pm. The other reason that keeps me up at night is watching back to back crime shows such as Criminal Minds or CSI for hours.

Now, the new thing that I have to avoid just before bed is reading! I'm not much of a reader, but in the last few weeks, I have been working to complete our educational requirements for our adoption. We must complete a stack of books, a number of powerpoints, and a video about adoption, bonding, and potential problems our child may have due to the transition, cross-cultural adoption and just plain being adopted.

Some of the things I have read are simply terrifying! I do not want to live in denial or fear, but I am chosing to trust God. I believe this baby is the child that God has planned for our family since the beginning of time. Any new additions in a family will bring major change, but God has called us to this and will give us just enough strength as we need it.

Isn't that what every parent experiences. In this way, I do not believe we are any different from anyone else.

I pray constantly for our sweet girl! Some things I ask for seem ridiculous, but I am praying that she will love us! I pray that as she sleeps at night, that God is preparing her little heart for her forever family and within hours (or even minutes if He choses) she will feel securely loved.

For birth mothers, they have had 9 months to talk to their baby and prepare them for their sweet voice. My voice will be completely different and she will never have heard me or English words for that matter. It is likely to frighten her, so I pray that my words will be soothing to her.

I just glanced over at the clock and see it is 7:15am in Ethiopia. (we keep a clock set on her time so we can feel closer to her) I praise God that we are one day closer to seeing her beautiful smiling face!!


"I will not leave you as orphans, I am coming for you!" John 14:18

3 comments:

  1. I will have to tell you that I read the adoption materials, but I do not live by them.

    What I mean by that is..... We were born to be mommies. I trust that God will guide and direct our paths. He will provide us the wisdom we need for motherhood. Unless, I encounter an unusual situation, I doubt that I will turn to those books again..... (Just my 2 cents. :)

    Hope we get our travel dates soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying your travel date will be here very, very soon. That little girl needs her "forever mommy and daddy" and she will be at home then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. It can be really hard getting help for addiction. I was looking for drug intervention and found many useful resources on the web.

    ReplyDelete